“Out there, besides what is right and what is wrong, there is an enormous field. That is where we will meet."~Rumi

September 04, 2009

Dear diary...

2nd September 2009

Dear diary,

Bob* was being a total ass tonight in class. He was back to his old antics...*sigh* I knew it was too good to last the rest of the semester - his behaviour and teaching style over the past three weeks...I guess good things never last, or as I said to Rosy* 'good things only happen in three!'.

Bob's so bad I can't help but laugh!!! After class it's 'bitchin time' about our lecturer!!! And it's good to know I am so not the only one!!! We just piss ourselves laughin mimicking him and bitchin about how he talks to us like we're five-years-old!!!

Five minutes before the end of the last class (last week) he informed us that we would be presenting reading activities in groups the following week. We had next to no time to get into groups and scribble down each others' contact details. And we received no further instructions other than to pick our own reading.

So this week rolled around and I was ten minutes late to class. When I walked in my group were already standing at the front of the room just about to 'present' an 'Eliciting/Building the field' activity. I started the ball rolling, then stopped to give another group member a go. We ended up doing individual things in our group. But the feedback we received was quite okay compared to the wrath the other groups received!!! Boy-oh-boy!!!

Bob was annoyed and disgusted that we were all failing miserably in our mini-presentations...and I just sat there rolling my eyes and writing notes to Rosy about his behaviour in class!!! I felt like I was a school-kid! :-)

All in all it took over an hour for four groups to present what we would do for reading activities in a TESOL classroom. Well...little time was actually spent presenting...most of the time was spent being yelled at!!!

So this is what I thought about whilst Bob continually mocked us and talked to us like primary-school children...

(1) You could have given us say ten minutes before class to go through our 'presentations'.
(2) You could have given us one text that all groups could have worked on, thus the whole session might have flowed and made more sense!
(3) How can you tell us off when you cannot lead by example???
(4) You tell us that we know the theory but cannot put it into practice...well what better way to demotivate us than by yelling at us???
(5) You seem to forget that we are learning about teaching, learning about literacy. After all this subject you are supposed to be teaching us is called "Teaching and Learning Literacy"!!!
(6) You sometimes forget that you are teaching adults. Not only that...but adults who are post-grad students!!!
(7) You talk to us like we're five years old!
(8) You don't listen.
(9) You continuously contradict yourself because of (8) above.
(10) You love the sound of your own voice.

At the end of tonight's class, after we 'listened' to Bob for a good 45 minutes about stuff and nonsense...Mary* raised her hand and said...'so basically what you are saying is this...', summarising his ranting and raving in less than 30 seconds!!! We all just giggled!!!

Later on, Mary was saying how she knew Bob had a bee in his bonnet - he kept going on about something or other...I wouldn't know because I tend to tune out after Bob continuously speaks for more than two minutes...and I just pretend that I'm listening. He was saying something about the Sydney school of genre or something...and how he really has something against them. Yeh okay Bob...I understand you can have your opinion on things...we're all entitled to that...but to go on and on about it...what a waste of our time!!!

Anyway, whenever I get bored in Bob's class, I wonder about my own classes at GEOS. Sometimes I think...maybe I am just as bad as Bob...hmmm....it's some food for thought!!! I guess if anything, Bob has taught me how NOT to be in a TESOL environment!!!

Well, only another week or two before mid-semester break!!! :-)

Thanks for listening diary!! :-)

*names have been changed to protect identity!

No comments: