“Out there, besides what is right and what is wrong, there is an enormous field. That is where we will meet."~Rumi

April 08, 2007

Mr Singh/April

A few days ago Mr Singh passed away. Speaking to my mum on Good Friday, she told me that 'the old man across the street' died. I only knew him as a friendly wave and a smile - quite often whenever I left the house. I think that the number of times I conversed with him in the 16 years I had lived at Ashgrove Crescent and we were neighbours, can sadly be counted with both hands.

I was a bit shocked by the news. Death in any form, whether by old age or other means, is not something you hear about every day with someone who you (sort of) know. Actually I never even knew what Mr Singh did. I know that his wife - Mrs Singh - was a high-school teacher. I know that he has two grown-up sons in their 30's and that one of them got married a few years ago and had a son. I know that his eldest son is a doctor. I know he used to go walking a lot and he always seemed to be at home...

To me and to my family, he was always the friendly old man from across the street. I wish that I at least knew his first name...but none of that matters now. I know that he is resting in peace and that he is smiling down upon all of his loved ones, even though they may be crying from his departure.
~~~~~~~~~~

April. A time to remember two of my loved ones who have passed from this earth. April 16th marks 8 years since my dear grandma passed away. Actually I had a dream about her last night although I cannot recall the details right now...April 21st marks 9 years since my dear godbrother Ray passed away...

Grandma & Ray, I love you guys and miss you lots. Life has been quite a tremendous journey since you went away - and I know you have been there every step of the way...

No comments: