“Out there, besides what is right and what is wrong, there is an enormous field. That is where we will meet."~Rumi

April 01, 2007

A Job, a Career and a Vocation

Three weekends ago I went to London for a weekend 'Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)' course. I think it's one of the best things I have ever done!!

Recently there was an article in the SMH about three kinds of work -a job, a career and a vocation (or a calling). I have always known what my vocation would be - to educate, to teach. Somehow, so far I have never managed to take a step towards my vocation. Actually when I was a kid, up until I was 16, I always wanted to become a school teacher. At the end of Yr10 my English teacher asked me what I wanted to become after I left school and I told her I wanted to become a teacher. She said to me...'Oh no! You don't want to be that!' And so, for some reason, I changed my mind on the spot there and then and decided to go into computing.

Reflecting upon her words now, I am surprised at how easily she influenced me. She wasn't my favourite teacher, but somehow what she said set me on quite a different path. I guess though, perhaps I would not have had the same opportunities had I chosen the path of teaching at university. I would not be doing what I am right now if I had taken that path. I like to think of it as a blessing in disguise :-)

I knew though, that sooner or later I would not be able to ignore my calling. In a roundabout way, I would not be able to escape it. And so the TEFL course in London was my first step towards my calling. Although I may not ever use that TEFL certification, it is a start for me onto a path which I know will be more personally fulfilling.

I need a career-break. In two weeks time I would have been living and working in Switzerland for two years!!! It's quite hard to believe how quickly time has passed us by!!! In two weeks time, I would have been working in the same industry for 4 years and 8 months!!! (Not that I am counting! :-)). By the time I leave the company - which will be end of October I have decided - I would have been working in the same industry for 5 years and 2 months! That's a long time for me! I know that the option is always there for me to work once again in the Sydney office. I am grateful for this, however I believe that I really just need to take a few months off and decide what I really wish to do with myself.

I have my eye on completing a 4-week intensive CELTA course (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) when I get back to Sydney in November. This will certify me to teach English to Adults the world-over, so the world will again be my oyster. I do wish to work closer with children though, so I will have to research my options and go with what feels right to me :-)

Many of my friends tell me that they can see me as a teacher and that I would make a great one at that too :-) There is nothing to lose and only everything to gain :-)

No comments: