“Out there, besides what is right and what is wrong, there is an enormous field. That is where we will meet."~Rumi

January 23, 2008

Living in the Now

Like millions of people around the world today who heard about the death of Heath Ledger, I too felt deeply saddened about his passing. I was at a recruitment agency around 9.15am this morning when I overheard the news and I felt shocked and extremely sad that he had died. I wasn't even able to fully focus on the forms which I was filling out...

It's a bit strange though as it is only three days into this week and I have heard about 4 deaths. I know millions die everyday but these passings which have been brought to my attention has enabled me to pause and think about my own life and how I am living it.

On Monday I heard a rumour about a dead body of a 29-year-old woman found in the boot of a car in Granville. This morning I learned that an "Uncle's" employee had to take time off work because there was a family tragedy...rumour having been that the employee's brother-in-law had died and he was only 29. Then this morning came the news of Heath Ledger - he was 28. And as I finished lunch with my dad, he was speaking to the chef whose best friend had passed away from cancer last week, and the funeral was just yesterday. He was around 54.

And so, we can look at it one way and say that these lives were cut short unfairly. We can speculate and ask a hundred thousand questions, but would the answers really satisfy us in the end?? Princess Diana died more than 10 years ago now, yet there's still speculation surrounding 'what really happened'. Well...what really happened is that there was a car crash and she died. Nothing will change that fact. No answer, right or wrong will bring her back in this lifetime. Heath Ledger died from a cardiac arrest. Whether that was due to a drug overdose, or pneumonia mixed with drugs...or whatever...does it really matter in the end???

In the light of Heath's death, SS realised "that it doesn't matter how old we are when we die. If we didn't harness our potential or what we came into this world to do, we can live for 80 years and still the potential is unrealized. He realized his potential in 28 years." I wholeheartedly agree with SS. We are not to know what the pact is that we made with ourselves, with god before we came into this world. Yet when we fulfill this agreement, our soul will know and then it will be time to move on.

"I completely live in the now, not in the past, not in the future." This is what Heath said. This is how he lived. How awesome is that? I believe that only when we are fully present to the present, and completely living in the now, will death not phase us. And when you reach that point, you will know that everything will be just fine. You just know.


No comments: